In some states of Australia microchipping of pets is now compulsory. A microchip is about the size of a grain of rice and is injected under your pet’s skin. It can be done during a normal consultation. The microchip is embedded with a code unique to your pet and is the most effective form of permanent identification.
If a pet is ever lost and is handed in at a veterinary clinic or animal shelter a microchip scanner is passed over the animal to reveal the unique code. The vet or animal shelter can then refer to the database to identify the name, address and phone number of the owner, so they can be reunited.
If your pet is not microchipped please give us a call to make an appointment to have one inserted. If you find a lost pet please call us to arrange a scan; we can reunite microchipped pets with their worried owners.
Microchipping and registration details are now going paperless!
To make it easier and more convenient for pet owners, microchip numbers, animal and owner details are now being entered directly onto the online database.
Below is some information to get you started. For further information and FAQs visit;
When you bring your pet into the clinic the vet or technician will insert a microchip between their shoulders (about the size of a small grain of rice). The authorised identifier will then enter the details of you and your pet into the online Pet Registry database.
What we need from you;
- Full name
- Current preferred contact number
- Current address
- Animal details (D.O.B, gender, breed, colour)
You will then need to claim your animal online through NSW Pet Registry. To do so you need to create an account via www.petregistry.nsw.gov.au, click ‘Register’ and follow the prompts.
Once you have created an account click ‘Claim Pet’ in the top right corner of the home page and follow the prompts.
Transferring To New Owner
- Log into your NSW Pet Registry account. Click on ‘My Pets’ to display all owned pets.
- Click the blue ‘Transfer’ text corresponding to the relevant pet.
- Enter details of the new owner and click ‘Transfer’ (top left-hand corner of screen).
- The pet is now transferred from your account
- To complete the transfer, you will need to create a NSW Pet Registry account if you do not already have one.
- Follow the ‘Claim Pet’ prompts from the home page.
- Once complete the pet will disappear from the old owner’s page.